Monday, August 31, 2009

Why am I Blessed?

One question I’ve always asked God, and myself, since I was a kid is, “Why am I so blessed?” “How come I was born in this wealthy nation with a loving family and numerous possessions, while someone across the world was born in a poor community with no toys, no access to education, and no parents?”

A few months ago, I was knocked off my feet. I had been noticing that I was complaining about what my mom made for dinner or that there was ‘nothing’ in the house to eat (even though there was plenty...it just didn’t sound good to me). Throughout my time of complaining, I kept being reminded that I am abundantly blessed. That little voice inside my head (I call the Holy Spirit) kept coming back and convicting me. Then one night after I took a swig of cold bottled water and as I shut off the kitchen light, using the automatic switch, and as I walked across the tiled floor, up on the carpeted staircase and into my luxurious room with painted walls, a queen sized bed, and an expensive drum set, I got a glimpse of a small mud hut with dirt floors, a curtain for a door, and one single mattress for a bed. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. I felt ashamed for having all this stuff. For having a room bigger than what some people have as a house. I went to bed that night with a heavy heart.

It isn’t fair. I’m no better than a girl my age living across the globe in Africa. So why is it that I can go to the store whenever I want to buy food and miscellaneous stuff while this girl has to walk miles and miles just to get water? (dirty water at that)

I don’t know why. I don’t understand it. I don’t think anybody here on earth does. What I do know is that I can help. I’ve always heard the term I’ve been “blessed to be a blessing.” Maybe I can’t build this girl a big house complete with air conditioning, a large comfortable bed, and a computer. But I can give her what is important. I can give her access to food, clean water, and education. I can send her love all the way from my home in Arizona. I can sacrifice a few movie nights to provide this girl with a future.


Tara K.

No comments: