Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm happy because I'm still alive

I received an email from my sponsor child, Naomi, this past week and was heartbroken by some of the things she wrote. One of the first statements she said after her greeting was, "I am very happy because I am still alive." The heart of a young girl in Kenya: "I'm happy to still be alive." I imagine she wakes up every single morning with this grateful attitude, but I can't imagine the circumstances that bring her to say this phrase. It breaks my heart to think of the way she lives, yet I'm almost jealous of it.

The thing is, she truly IS happy. She is so grateful for the life she's been given. Though she doesn't have an ipod, a queen sized bed, or a shopping mall down the road, she is utterly happy and grateful. She finds joy in her friendships, her school, and the fact that she woke up this morning to enjoy another day. Naomi's letter humbled me in many ways. She has taught me that I should be grateful for being able to open my eyes each morning and live a new day. Sometimes I wish I didn't have so many material things, because I know it distracts me. Our culture tells us that we must have more to be happy. Although, what I've learned from traveling to Kenya and seeing the lives of people there, is that you can have less and even be happier than the richest man in America.

Tara K.


No comments: