Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Across a distant sea

I imagine you woke up today in a pretty nice bed. You probably took a shower, had breakfast, and went about your daily routine. I did too. In fact, I woke up in a large, warm bed. I took a hot shower, walked into my closet full of clothes and picked out an outfit of my choice. I then applied makeup to my face, dried my hair and straightened it with the necessary appliances. I took a look in the mirror to make sure I looked decent before going out. I went downstairs, ate a piece of toast with peanut butter, then headed out of the house for the day. I got into my car and drove two miles to school. And as I was sitting in my Astronomy class, I began thinking about the many children and adults across a distant sea who had a drastically different morning than I.

Take one person similar to me. In this case, a young old girl in Zambia. This girl probably woke up this morning on a dirt floor squished next to her brothers and sisters. I’m sure she didn’t take a shower. In fact, she probably hasn’t had one in days or weeks. I bet this girl didn’t walk into her closet to pick out a set of clothes, because the only outfit she has is already on her. I’m sure she didn’t apply any makeup or even look in a mirror. Who knows if she has ever even seen a reflection of herself. I’m pretty sure this girl didn’t eat breakfast this morning because there might not be any food available in her household. I can guarantee she didn’t get in a car to drive two miles to school. Instead, she probably walked 20 miles to fetch a bucket of water at sunrise. And I imagine that the rest of her day was spent working outside in the heat and taking care of her siblings, while I enjoyed a bagel, coffee, and some magazines at a bookstore.

I couldn’t stop thinking about these kids today. What’s tragic about this is that there are millions of children around the world who live this way every single day of their life. It’s heartbreaking. But you want to know also what is incredible to me? There are hundreds of children in Zambia who are in class right now studying and gaining knowledge because you have provided a hope and a future for them. Not only are they getting to go to school, but they will soon have a nice place to sleep, in dorms at the school! These kids are now waking up with a joy in their heart because they get the opportunity to attend school to learn so that they can grow up to live a better life. And you know what? These kids aren’t the only ones who will be impacted in Zambia. There are hundreds more who will receive this same blessing if we all keep doing what we have been the last few years. I can’t even believe that as I sit in my Astronomy class, a young girl in Africa gets to sit in her class and have a complete hope for the future. It amazes me how much of an impact kids in blessed nations, like America, have made on kids in developing countries like Africa. Never forget that lives are being impacted and forever changed because of you. Keep it up!

Tara

No comments: